11.09.2009

"A Generous Life"

1) This weekend, my music teacher received $400 extra for his musical performance. His clients were more than pleased with his professionalism and musical abilities. His first thought? "I shall give this to one of my students." {which he spontaneously does every few months, although not such a large sum- bout $100-$200} He offered a girl {number 9th on the role because it's November 9th} $400 if she was on time to class. 10 minutes before class began {precisely 7:50 a.m.}, He wrote her name on the envelope and put the money in it. Let's just say she was late and was incredibly disappointed. He was determined to give the money away to some lucky person in his next class.

2) Cultural anthropology class discussion today: the rules and functions of authority, power, law, force; cohersion. what really caught me was when we brought up sharing & how it is not in our nature to share. Giving must be taught to selfish people in societies...

3) I had just arrived at the Escondido Transit Center after Palomar classes today {waiting for a ride home from the madre}, and a woman approached multiple people asking for change so that she can go get something to eat. If you know me really well, you'd know that I always carry a good serving size of organic applesauce in my purse. Weird, I know. You'd also know that I never-ever have cash. But today was different. There was a few dollars in my pants pocket! The Holy Spirit gently reminded me that the dollars were God's and not mine. I became so excited to give such a small contribution. As it turns out, she had walked away fast before I could hand her the lunch bag full of the sauce and monies. More than anything, I learned what it felt like to be a cheerful giver and how easy it is, once you already previously decide to give whatever you have in order to further His kingdom.

Ryan Paulson's sermon on Sunday night about
generosity was phenomenal.
we camped out at
2 Corinthians 9:6-15
  • a generous life isn't our natural inclination & must be determined ahead of time {9:7}
  • a generous life is a life that is blessed by God {9:6, 8-11; Proverbs 11:24-25}
  • a generous life is a life that points to Jesus {9:12-14}
  • a generous life is a reflection of God's generosity to us! {9:15}

p.s. you can't out give God.

1 comment: